Sunday 22 November 2015

Review ~ Midnight Pursuits(Killer Instincts #4) by Elle Kennedy

Goodreads Summary: 

Her job is to stay hidden.
Too bad he can’t take his eyes off her.

Soldier-for-hire Ethan Hayes is the youngest member of an elite mercenary team. While he may be affectionately nicknamed the rookie, the skills Ethan honed as a Marine make him seriously dangerous. But when a sudden distress call puts him in close quarters with a rival, he finds more than his field skills being put to the test.

Juliet Mason stands out as the master thief in a covert group of assassins and spies. Her latest mission is personal—and it’s gone horribly wrong. Juliet may prefer to work alone, but when the rookie comes to her aid in snowy Eastern Europe, she can’t deny they make a good team. But even up against a powerful enemy, their most challenging task yet may be fighting the passion between them...

18141688

My Review :

It was a great read. I mean, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Killer Instincts is a great series and my favourite one. I love Elle Kennedy's writing no doubt. But I wasn't expecting much from the lead characters. But they surprised me and it in fact turned out to be one of my favourite books in the series.

Ethan is the “rookie” of Morgan's team, cause he is the youngest member of his team. He receives a call meant for Isabel from Juliet and she’s in trouble. Juliet is very injured and sounds like she's in trouble so Ethan drops everything and comes to Juliet’s aid.

Juliet Mason is an ex-master thief, now an assassin for Noelle’s group of assassins. When Juliet gets a call from a hospital that her brother, Henry is shot and in critical condition, she hops immediately on a plane. When she finds out his fiancée was murdered in a professional way, Juliet takes it upon herself to track down the killer and exact her brother's and her vengeance.

Now in the last book, I wasn't the couple's big fan cause of their constant arguments. But in this book, you get to see his another alpha side.
So it start with Ethan helping Juliet get better and then he sticks and insists on helping Juliet out. Juliet, who is used to solitude on her mission is uncomfortable with Ethan joining in, especially when its her personal mission.

And how they work together and other characters come into play is just awesome. The story flows perfectly after that. I liked how age didn't really affect their relationship. Juliet was pretty cool about it once she admits to liking him. It was another great hit in Killer Instincts series!

I like the dialogues in this series, they're all very witty and fun and emotional.
Some of my favourite dialogues from this book: 

“Out of curiosity, what do you do on the second date?”
The grin he shot her melted her insides. “I subscribe to baseball rules, of course. First, second, third, and then I screw your brains out.”
*
"Hold on--did you just call me Ethan?"
Her olive cheeks took on a pink hue. "No."
"You said my name. Not kiddo, not rookie. My actual name."
"So what if I did?"
Triumph coursed through his blood. "It means I'm getting to you."
Now she was practically sputtering. "You're not getting to me."
"Ha. I totally am." He flashed a victorious grin. "You like me."
"I do not."
"You absolutely do."
*
Dumbfounded, Ethan stared at the bag before meeting her dark eyes. “You broke into a bakery to steal cookies for me?”
“Don’t you dare read anything into it,” she grumbled, as if sensing his thoughts. “They’re just cookies, for fuck’s sake. Doesn’t mean a thing.”
*
"I mean it, sweetheart. You're not walking away from me. Not until we finish what we've started. And even then, I still won't let you go." 
"How very caveman of you."
"Don't care. You're not going anywhere, Jules."
*


My Rating - 4.5 stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment