Friday 16 October 2020

FRIDAY READS #15 | EMMA BY JANE AUSTEN

 


Book Beginnings is a book meme hosted by Rose City Reader where participants share the first sentence (or so) of the book, along with initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.
The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda’s Voice, and the rules are quite simple: Grab a book, any book, turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader. Find any non-spoilery sentence(s) and post. 
Book Blogger Hop created by coffeeaddictedwriter, where each week the hop starts on a Friday and ends the following Thursday with a weekly prompt featuring some bookish question.
This week’s book: 


Goodreads Summary: 

Emma, first published in 1816, was written when Jane Austen was at the height of her powers. In a novel remarkable for its sparkling wit and modernity, Austen presents readers with two of literature's greatest comic creations--the eccentric Mr. Woodhouse and that quintessential bore, Miss Bates. Here, too, we have what may well be Jane Austen's most profound characterization: the witty, imaginative, self-deluded Emma, a heroine the author declared "no one but myself will much like," but who has been much loved by generations of readers. Delightfully funny, full of rich irony, Emma is regarded as one of Jane Austen's finest achievements.

BOOK BEGINNINGS:

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

FRIDAY 56:

Vanity working on a weak head, produces every sort of mischief.
MY THOUGHTS:

It's an okay read. I think I liked Pride and Prejudice better and that's the only classic I've read. I'm a classic newbie, so I'm just going with flow right now.
Book Blogger Hop
This week's question prompt is WOULD YOU CONSIDER GIVING OUT BOOKS TO TRICK-OR-TREATERS INSTEAD OF CANDY?
I want to say no because hmm, who wouldn't want candies at that age, but as I look at my unread, some untouched, some I won't reread books sitting on the shelf just like that, I find myself changing the answer to yes if the kids want it, I would probably keep candies and then books as an option, they can choose any book they want and take it WITH the candy and not instead. Oh, that would be so much fun! How I wish we did Halloween where I live now!!

Which book features in your Friday Reads below? Comment the links below, I would love to visit your blog!

7 comments:

  1. I agree that it was ok, not my favorite either. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this one before, but that was MANY years ago when I was studying English Literature at school!

    I keep promising myself that I am going to read some of the classics in amongst my other books, but somehow it just never seems to happen, as there is never enough time to fit everything in!

    Those opening lines really do paint a picture for me though, so on their own they would probably make me carry on reading.

    I am not really into Halloween, so for me, the fact that Covid has just about rendered all events and parties cancelled, is quite good news.

    I like the idea of giving away a book to 'trick or treaters' though, although I'm not so sure the recipients would be that pleased!

    Thanks for sharing and have a peaceful weekend :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but I do have it on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read Emma, but I have watched several adaptations. I actually think my favorite has been the newest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like Emma! Did you ever see the movie Clueless? It's fun to watch the movie and then read Emma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooof, I don't do Jane Austen. xD I don't know why. Something in me is broken, but I just can't get into her books. I know so many people who consider Emma their favorite Austen book, though! I hope you continue to discover classics that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete